P.O. Box 2681
Bellingham, WA 98227-2681
News, PR and Web Content Manager. Experienced in print and online
communications for news, blogs, RSS, PR, customer and member education.
SEO, management and training in multi-media environments for diverse audiences
and formats. (LinkedIn Profile)
- SPIE Professional MAGAZINE - October 2007 to present. Managing editor for quarterly member magazine (print and online) and for quarterly and monthly e-newsletters for non-profit society advancing an interdisciplinary approach to the science of light. Responsible for acquiring technical and general interest content for magazine for optics and photonics professionals; editing; writing; and coordinating production with marketing, graphics, printer, mailer and PR. Magazine was sponsor of the SPIE International Year of Light Photo Contest. Serve as back-up for managing editor of online Newsroom.
- PRWEB -
February 2005 to August 2007. Managing editor for the leading direct-to-consumer
press release newswire. Responsible for
training editorial and customer support staff for 24/7
service in Ferndale, Wash., and Lanham, Md.; overseeing editorial review
process for hundreds
of press releases distributed daily; and developing, codifying and
implementing editorial policies and customer relations standards before acquisition by Vocus in 2006.
Created college internship program. As a hands-on manager, also provided
search engine optimization, writing and editing services.
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY Office
of University Communications (formerly the Public Information
- August 1996 to August 1998 and August 1999 to February 2005. Publications
editor for public affairs office. Developed and maintained Web site
to provide the media and the public with press releases, print-quality
photos, news tips, speakers' guide and experts' list. Responsible
writing, researching, editing and desktop publishing of parents' newsletter,
alumni quarterly (79,000 circulation) and other official university
with other divisions on campus to develop and design online pages and
tools such as scrolling headlines, all university events calendar,
release database, etc. Worked with consultants to convert publications
for the Web or converted them myself. Extensive skills with page
layout, Web authoring, photo processing, word processing,
presentation, database and other software as
camera for marketing, fund-raising, public relations, community relations
and crisis communications.
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY Journalism
Department - 1996 to 2003. Journalism instructor
for classes in newswriting, reporting, editing (print, video and Web)
and online journalism. All courses have online syllabus and new media
component. Adviser to student online publications, 1998-2000. Manager
of journalism department's WebBoard,
an online discussion board, 1998-2000. User of Blackboard
courseware during 2000-2001 academic year and winter quarter 2003.
- THE BELLINGHAM HERALD
- June 1994 to July 1996. Senior city reporter covering politics, the
City Council, city administration and some general assignment for small-town
daily. Generated own story ideas by developing and maintaining community,
governmental and political sources. Researched unfamiliar subjects on
a moment's notice and wrote about complex subjects in a clear, concise
and creative manner. Interviewed cooperative and reluctant subjects
and met daily deadlines. Also coordinated student internship program
and served on newspaper's marketing committee and the Internet committee
which subsequently led to an online presence for the newspaper.
- THE PHILADELPHIA
DAILY NEWS - March 1982 to June 1994. General assignment and
beat reporter, primarily covering labor issues, courts and city government
for 200,000-circulation daily. Exclusive projects included a week-long
package exposing high-level city managers who collected hundreds of
thousands of dollars in overtime compensation and several investigative
stories on questionable business practices and organizing tactics by
union leaders. Timely, inside reporting on contract negotiations. As
neighborhoods reporter in the late 1980s, specialized in tales about
off-beat community controversies such as opposition to a community vegetable
garden by neighbors afraid it would depreciate their property value.
Revived the paper's funky Marquis of Debris column to award-winning
status with a humorous crusade against litter.
Won community, labor and journalism awards.
- THE PHILADELPHIA BULLETIN - Sept. 1980 to Jan. 1982. Beat reporter
covering the casino industry and courts for the all-editions Atlantic
City Page of 400,000-circulation daily. Developed a weekly profile of
local newsmakers and covered business developments. Reviewed restaurants
for Sunday paper. Also worked as general assignment reporter and deadline
rewrite in Philadelphia before the paper folded. Was summer intern,
- THE PRESS of ATLANTIC
CITY - Sept. 1977 to Sept. 1980. Features editor, news reporter,
business writer, features writer and copy editor for 70,000-circulation
daily. Worked with a team that created a business section for the paper.
- THE BOSTON GLOBE
- 1976 to 1977. Weekend general assignment reporter for 400,000-circulation
metro daily. Began as editorial clerk in sports department.
- THE SHEEHAN WORLD
- October 1995 to present. Editor and publisher of fun newspaper-homepage
for family, friends and interested Internet readers.
- Editing of books, newsletters, magazines. Connecting in San Francisco
1998; Connecting in Philadelphia 1994 and 2001 editions; Philly
Nitelife 1997; Philadelphia
NOW newsletter; Sean Humphrey House newsletter; New Age Retailer
magazine; and Corinthian Yacht Club newsletter.
- PhotoSynergy: Digital
photography for weddings, events, business portraits, the Walrus (rock band) and various Web sites
- Writing for The New
York Times real estate section, Dockside Northwest magazine, Philadelphia
magazine, The Boston Globe, New Jersey Monthly, American
Sweeper, Cambridge (Mass.) Chronicle, Corvallis
(Ore.) Gazette-Times, the Associated Press
OF WASHINGTON Department of Communication (formerly the School
M.A. in communications, August 1999. GPA: 3.9. Research area in new media:
online journalism, news values, press law in cyberspace.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY College of Communication
B.S. in journalism, minor in urban affairs and history, 1977. GPA: 3.6.
(Formerly the School of Public Communication)
OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
Attended two quarters under National Student Exchange program, 1975.
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
English/Journalistic Studies major in Amherst before transfer to BU, 1973-1974.
Achievements, Awards, Scholarships
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education, bronze award for
development of content for WWU Alumni
Association web site, 1998
- C.B. Blethen Memorial Award for distinguished investigative reporting,
2nd place, 1996
- Washington Press Association, Communicator of Excellence awards, 1996
- Society of Professional Journalists, government reporting award, 1st
- Best of Gannett, Freedom of Information award, 1995
- Well Done Award, Gannett Corp., November/December 1995
- Society of Professional Journalists, special citation for best news
- Shining Example award, PhilaPride, 1991
- Special Award for outstanding contributions to PHILAPOSH and health
and safety in the workplace, 1984
- Philadelphia Press Association spot news award, 1981
- Boston University scholarship, 1976-1977
- Frank E. Gannett Newspaper Foundation grant, 1976
- Massachusetts Board of Higher Education scholarship, 1973-1975
Conferences, Publications, Blogs,
- Presenter, The Ins and Outs of Editing, Nov. 19, 2002, Whatcom
- Author, Congress shall make no law ... defining who is a journalist.
Paper accepted for 1999 national convention of Association for Education
in Journalism and Mass Communication, law division.
- Author, Fighting City Hall: How Bellingham opened doors in
Editorially Speaking (Gannett Corp., June 1996)
- Reporter, How city employees have solid gold weekends in Local
News Ideabook (Knight-Ridder Corp., May 1993).
- Panel leader, Media Perspectives: Shaping the Region's Labor-Management
Image, Labor-Management Cooperation conference sponsored by the Philadelphia
Area Labor-Management Committee (PALM), 1993.
- Negotiating Committee, Washington Public Employees Association, 2004
- Attended conferences on computer-assisted reporting (NICAR,
1996) and The Committee
of Concerned Journalists (1998) and Poynter workshops
- Judge, annual Fairmount Park Commission student essay contest, Philadelphia,
- Volunteer, Big Sisters of Philadelphia and Tall Ship Gazela. (Mentored
9-year-old girl, 1993-1994, and was tour guide and crew member of Gazela,
- Recruiter and coordinator, The Bellingham Herald internship program,
- Teaching assistant, Boston University copy editing classes, 1976-1977.
- Founding member, Women's Network of South Jersey, 1981.
- Sailing instructor and trip leader, American Youth Hostels, Philadelphia,
- Clerk, communications committee, Bellingham Friends Meeting
Memberships (current and former)
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Pacific Northwest Association of Journalism Educators
- American Association of University Professors
- Whatcom Communications Association, now known as Whatcom Writers and Publishers
- Whatcom MacUser Group
- National Organization for Women
- Sigma Delta Chi
- National Honor Society
- Obtained Coast-Guard captain
license in 1997: Master, up to 50 tons, with sailing endorsement. Also,
operator of uninspected passenger vessels (OUPV - "six-pack" captain)
- Former member-leader of Washington
Public Employees Association
- Versatile with both PCs using Windows XP and earlier operating systems
and Apple Macintosh operating systems (up to OSX).
- Computer proficient with Content Management Systems (CMS); Web authoring tools (BBEdit, Dreamweaver,
Netscape Composer and Front Page); RSS feeds; Microsoft Word, Excel,
Access and PowerPoint; Adobe Acrobat, PageMaker, InDesign and PhotoShop;
Web browsing applications (Internet
Explorer, Netscape, FireFox, Safari); e-mail programs (Eudora, Outlook, Pine);
file transfer programs (Fetch, Interarchy, Telnet, SSH, FTP); iPhoto; iMovie;
Web sites I manage or have managed:
Sheehan World | Bellingham
University Communications at WWU
| SPIE Professional magazine
Contact Kathy Sheehan by email. Send to editor at (@) this Web domain.
Updated December 2014